ClearMinds offer workshops, group work and 1-1 coaching for children aged from six to 18 years. We work in schools to support learning through the PHSE curriculum in addition to working at home with the child/teenager individually and with their family members.
Our trainers are teachers and coaches who bring a wealth of experience and expertise in mental health support, combined with a genuine passion for working with children. All our trainers understand the impact of mental health issues on the development of a young person. We work hard to build bright futures for young people by providing them with the ability to build self-esteem and confidence, resilience and positive mental attitudes in order to provide them with the best possible toolkit with which to make right the right choices on a day-to-day basis and for the future. We are committed to doing what we can to support young people in their mental wellbeing and to dispel the fear and stigma attached to mental health illness.
One-to-One Life and Personal Development Coaching can take place at the child’s home, in a dedicated space at school or via phone or Skype. We work with children and teenagers on any issue that the child/teenager or the parent feels they need help with. Having a trustworthy outsider for your child to talk to can be very beneficial, especially if the problem is family related.
How do we work with children and teenagers?
Initially we will have a conversation with the parents so we know what issues they would like us to address. In our first session with the child/teen, we always ask them what they would like to talk about. There may be conflicting issues or it may be a common theme – we will work with the child/teen to ensure that their view is heard. In our coaching sessions we use worksheets and discussion to establish the problem and find out how the child would like to change the situation. Together we set a goal and look at ways of achieving it. We evaluate the child/teen’s ideas, then they choose the most achievable and realistic option for them to get the result they want. Our sessions are lively, interactive and supportive.
Where do we work?
We work face to face with children in their home or other safe place so that the child feels relaxed in a comfortable environment. We are based in Hertfordshire and if we cannot meet in person due to geographical distances then we can have our coaching sessions via SKYPE or telephone SKYPE is a great, flexible, low-cost way to resolve your child’s issues from the comfort of their own home.
How long will we see your child for?
Our sessions are usually weekly and last 45 minutes. We generally see children for up to 6 sessions. We take the sessions at the child’s pace and regularly review our progress.
What age group do we work with?
Typically we work with children from aged six years to teens.
Are our sessions confidential?
All our sessions with children are confidential unless they give me permission to discuss our conversations with their parents. Most children are happy for us to talk to their parents between sessions so we can work together to find solutions that work for everyone. If there are concerns about risk of harm, confidentiality may be broken, we will always inform the client about any concerns.
Children, like adults, need someone to talk to, who can understand the situation they nare in, who will listen to them in a non-judgemental way, helping them find solutions that work for them
What can coaching achieve?
- Can enable children to reach their full potential.
- Uses interactive activities to encourage children to share their feelings and develop strategies to move forward
- Will empower them to take responsibility for their own feelings, needs and actions
- Increases the child’s confidence to make positive changes in the way they act, think and feel
- Develop essential life skills
What kind of issues can be addressed by coaching?
- Being different
- Challenging negative thoughts and beliefs
- Change – new school, moving house etc
- Emotional Literacy
- Family difficulties including parent separation
- Organisational skills
- School issues
- Sibling Rivalry
- Stress management
We can also support children in small groups around subjects such as:
What can coaching achieve?
- Change & Loss, including parental separation
- Goal mapping
- Personality Profiling
- Raising self esteem
- Other topics by arrangement
who is teen coaching for?
Coaching is available for young people age 13-19.
Younger teens may need consent from their parents to participate.
Teen coaching is for a young person who may be struggling with big life decisions, is challenged by apathy or a lack of direction, struggles with relationships, has difficulty communicating or interacting with peers, parents, or authority figures, is having difficulty in school, is making a major life transition such as changing schools or recently moved, or may just need someone they can trust to talk to.
The coach works closely with teens to identify goals and obstacles and guide the teen towards a more self-motivated, passionate, and fulfilling life.
ClearMinds trainers work extensively with teenagers both in schools and at home. We assist them in the following ways:
What can coaching achieve?
- Getting help overcoming problems at School and with Friends.
- Become Skilled at Making Good Decisions and Sticking to Them.
- Learn to Communicate Effectively and Resolve Conflict.
- Discover strengths and skills within you.
- Learn ways to have balance in your life.
- Set goals that you chose and find effective ways to achieve them.
We can also support teenagers in small groups on wide-ranging themes such as:
- Anger manager
- Building Resilience, Focus and Self-Esteem
- Change and Loss, including parental separation
- Exam pressure and coping with parental expectation
- Goal Mapping – where are you now? Where do you want to be in the future?
- The impact of technology
- Mental health problems: recognising the signs and symptoms in yourself and your friends
- How to achieve mental wellbeing
- Joining in: the positive impact of taking part
- How to be Cool and Healthy!
- Coping with peer pressure
- Is it too early to start my CV?
- How to make the right choices for you
- Employing for university and/or employment
- Effective use of GAP years
- Managing Transitions
- Managing stress and anxiety
parents of teenagers
- Strengthen Communication and Reduce Conflict.
- Have a More Loving Relationship with your Son or Daughter.
- Reduce the Everyday Stress of Parenting.
- Be the person you want to be.
questions about teen coaching
How do I meet with my coach?
We are based in Hertfordshire and can meet with young people in Herts, Essex, Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and North London. If you live outside these areas, you can still participate in coaching via SKYPE or by phone. If your school gives permission we can meet at school, we can also meet in the family home or other safe place. You may arrange to have your coaching sessions by SKYPE or phone, at a mutually agreed date and time. Sessions usually happen weekly or fortnightly by arrangement.
How much does coaching cost?
Your first session with a coach is free. This session will help you figure out if coaching is right for you.
I’m a young person! I want to get started with a coach. What do I do?
If you’re under 16, you’ll need to get your parents’ permission to start coaching.
I’m a parent! I think my child would benefit from coaching. What do I do?
Talk with your child about the ClearMinds Coaching programme and see if they feel it might work for them.